A Day to celebrate being single? We’re down for it!
Who doesn’t want to show appreciation and practice self-love with a shopping spree, vacation, or even on a date with a friend? It’s the perfect antidote to Valentine’s Day after all.
The origins of Single’s Day
Celebrated on 11th November every year, Double Eleven aka Single’s Day is China’s largest online shopping day. Double Eleven started as a fun way for single people to celebrate being single. Legend has it that it started with four guys who shared a dorm room at Nanjing University. They didn’t want to be depressed about being single so they decided to celebrate the good things about being single - the opportunity to love, connect, and engage with ourselves. And the date consists of only the number one (11/11), representing four singles.
One of the world’s most popular online shopping days
While the exact origin of Single’s Day cannot be confirmed, today everyone recognises it as THE shopping day in China. It has even caught on in other countries. The day is now celebrated throughout Southeast Asia and in some European countries, including Germany, Belgium, and the United Kingdom.
The multinational e-commerce giant Alibaba is said to have created the shopping event to target younger generations and earned over $25 billion in sales in 2013 - that’s four times the size of America’s biggest shopping days Black Friday and Cyber Monday! And since, the holiday’s popularity skyrocketed with e-commerce and social media platforms inviting store owners to celebrate by offering discounts and gifts, to create a perfect storm.
How to celebrate and make the most of Single’s Day
Single’s Day is all about appreciating time with yourself, so here are some things you can do to celebrate the day:
- Pamper yourself- Indulge in a relaxing massage or a refreshing facial after a hard day at work. It’s the best way to feel good about yourself!
- Treat yourself to your favourite things - Whether you spoil yourself with your favourite beauty products or treat yourself to some delicious take-out, your hard-earned cash is best spent on you.
- Travel somewhere new - A vacation or staycation doing something different can help you feel rejuvenated.
- Do something you love - Whether it’s watching a movie at your favourite cinema, playing a game with your friend, or even booking your next favourite concert, an experience will always make for a great memory.
- Donate to a cause you care about - Sometimes there’s nothing better than supporting someone or being a part of something meaningful.
Not single? Bring a smile to a friend or a loved one with a thoughtful gift that helps them feel special.
Be happy single and celebrate yourself. We dare you!